Weekly Sitting (Zazen)
We have weekly sittings in multiple locations in the Washington, DC and Baltimore/Annapolis metropolitan areas.
Washington, DC (Takoma): Seekers Church, 276 Carroll Street NW
A one-minute walk away from the Takoma Metro station on the Red Line, directly across Carroll Street from the 7-Eleven.
Monday/Thursday: 6:30 - 8:20 a.m.
Three twenty-five minute periods of sitting meditation (zazen) with brief walking meditation (kinhin) between periods. If necessary, it is possible to leave early during one of the walking meditation periods. If you are interested in joining a morning sitting, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not just show up without being in touch beforehand.
Silver Spring: Christ Congregational Church, 9525 Colesville Road
Wednesday: 7:15 - 8:45 p.m. (show up at 6:55 to set up as part of practice)For closings due to inclement weather, please call the Christ Congregational Church at 301-585-8010, extension 3. If there is no message, and the phones are operational, the church is open.
Three twenty-five minute periods of sitting meditation (zazen) with brief walking meditation (kinhin) between periods. Often, these times also include a talk related to practice and the opportunity for conversation with a teacher about practice. Last Wednesday of each month sitting ends at 8:20 PM, followed by tea and conversation until 9:00 p.m.
Baltimore/Annapolis area: Millersville, MD (near Glen Burnie)
Since dates vary, please e-mail email@example.com to confirm and to get directions
Monday evenings: 7:00-8:00p.m. (two Mondays each month)
Tuesday mornings: 5:30-6:00a.m. (every week)
Monthly Sitting (Zazenkai) (Registration Required)
Location: Christ Congregational Church location
- All Day Sitting: Monthly sittings occur one Saturday a month from 8:40 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (First bell 9:00 a.m.) See calendar for schedule.
- Suggested donation: $15, bring lunch, tea provided.
- To register, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Introduction to Zen Meditation and Practice
- An Introduction to Zen Practice and to One Heart Sangha is available at the start of each morning and evening sitting days, and all-day Saturday sittings. To help us prepare for your coming, please email us at email@example.com. Please include your phone number.
- The teaching will focus on the heart of Zen practice: zazen, or sitting meditation, and will include instruction on posture, attention to the breath, and ways of dealing with thoughts. Instruction on kinhin (walking meditation) will also be given, as well as a preparation for sitting with the sangha (community). Those participating in the introduction will then join the sangha in sitting for the remainder of the session.
Membership and Donations
Membership and donations help support our sangha in maintaining our weekly sitting, scholarships, and teacher training. Please consider a suggested member dues of $20/month. If you wish to become a member, please send a request and dues (in the amount you can pay) to Silver Spring Zendo, c/o 4305 Dresden Street, Kensington, MD 20895. They are tax deductible and you will get a receipt at the end of the year.
Opportunities for Sesshins
Please see the home page